The holiday season is officially upon us and if you haven’t already started your Christmas shopping, you have probably—in the very least—started making a mental check of list of what you would like to buy. Giving the gift of firepower, especially to the gun enthusiast, is an excellent idea. However, giving a gun as a present does have its drawbacks. The following six tips will help if you plan on buying a gun for someone this year.
- Before you buy a gun for anyone other than yourself, make triple sure that person can legally own a gun. Besides the obvious—felons and drug abusers—federal law prohibits fugitives, those who have been committed into a mental institution, illegal aliens, those with restraining orders, someone convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence, and someone under indictment for a crime punishable for more than a year from owning a gun.
- Think about how you will give the firearm as a present. Will it be legal to give it to them, or will the firearm have to go through a FFL transfer? Having to transfer the gun into the person’s name ruins the surprise a bit, but get creative. You can print out a picture of the gun and put into a card or surprise them with a trip to the gun store. When you get there, you can tell them about their present.
- Do not pick the gun out for them. What you think they should have is not necessarily the gun they want. Like clothes, generally people need to “try” guns on for a good fit.
- Buy them what they want. If they don’t know—take them to the gun range before hand and let them pick out their favorite.
- If you are going to gift a gun to a child, get them a gun they will enjoy right away instead of one they will have to grow into, like a Ruger 10/22, a Crickett, or other .22 Long Rifle made specifically for youth.
- A surefire win is to get them a gift card to a gun store and let them pick out the gun.
I received a gun for a birthday present before—a little NAA mini revolver. The gun was just as fun as it could be and made for an excellent backup gun for my car. A gun lover loves getting guns. Don’t rule it out as a gift just because a little extra thought and care is involved in getting the right one.
Will you be giving a gun as a gift this year? If so, which one?
Suzanne joined the content team with over eight years experience at Cheaperthandirt.com. Starting out as a product description writer, Suzanne has extensive knowledge of the Cheaper Than Dirt! product base and is a good resource for suggestions on which products you need. Suzanne specializes in writing for the female shooter, beginner shooter, and the modern-day prepper. Though she prefers plinking with her S&W M&P 15-22, Suzanne also loves revolvers, the 1911, short-barreled AR-15s, and shooting full auto when she gets the chance. Suzanne is a staff writer for Cheaper Than Dirt!