Cheaper Than Dirt! staffers covering the 2013 SHOT Show in Las Vegas have filed their follow-up reports on news affecting the firearms industry, gun ownership, gun regulation, and other topics.
List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan
The White House provided the following list of executive actions President Obama plans to take to address what the administration calls “gun violence.” It’s unclear which of the directives directly addresses the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings, which the president used as the rationale for issuing the actions.
- Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
- Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
- Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
- Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
- Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
- Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
- Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
- Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
- Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
- Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
- Nominate an ATF director.
- Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
- Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
- Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
- Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
- Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
- Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
- Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
- Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
- Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
- Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
- Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
- Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
Statement from NSSF in Response to Biden Commission Recommendations
All Americans share the goal of wanting to make our communities and children safer by reducing violence in our society, like the tragic incident that occurred last month in our community of Newtown, Conn. We are reviewing Vice President Biden’s recommendations with an open mind in hopes they will offer real means of achieving our shared goal.
The central issue involved in violence where a firearm is misused is the unauthorized access to the firearm. We believe it is critical to first focus on the unauthorized access to firearms by irresponsible persons and those not legally qualified to possess them.
We support immediate improvements to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) that will bring all appropriate mental health and other records, such as restraining orders, into the NICS system. Fixing NICS must be among the highest priorities in order to help further prevent illegal purchases of firearms from federally licensed retailers.
In order to help prevent unauthorized access to firearms in the home, we have long supported and are initiating an expanded safety campaign to promote the secure and responsible storage of all firearms and ammunition when not in use. We believe the personal responsibility of gun owners, especially if there are children or at-risk individuals in the home, is central to any meaningful discussion of the issues.
The NSSF will continue to lend its expertise to this important national conversation and the accompanying legislative and policy making processes. We do so respecting the various points of views represented in these discussions.
Barbour: Gun Industry is Under Attack
At the SHOT Show’s annual State of the Industry Dinner on Tuesday, former Mississippi Governor and Republican Party head Hayley Barbour told attendees, “Make no mistake about it, you aren’t under siege…. you are under attack,” the Outdoor Wire reports.
A very plain spoken Barbour told industry leaders the shooting industry isn’t in danger because it wants the government to do something for it, but “because of what the industry can do to you.”
And the industry and lawful gun owners are likely to once again bear the brunt of restrictions by a lawmakers across the country who seem determined to do something.
“There aren’t two sides in this issue,” said the NSSF’s Steve Sanetti, “I don’t think any one who knows what we do believe we are against such incomprehensible evil.”
Sanetti then went on to speak some truths he says the firearms industry knows but the media refuses to report.
“This industry pioneered the instant background check system,” Sanetti said, ” years before it was a government mandate.”
“Facts,” Sanetti said, “must guide our actions, not emotions, despite the fact we also feel in our hearts the cost of unspeakable evil.”
“We have been deluged with requests for information,” Sanetti said, “but we all know the key is personal responsibility. And we are among the most responsible people in America.
“Violent criminals who violate the law don’t have the right to lawful ownership of arms,” Sanetti said, “they belong in jail.”
NRA Statement on NY Gun Ban
The National Rifle Association issued a statement in response to the newly-signed New York law banning assault weapons and requiring background checks:
“The National Rifle Association and our New York members are outraged at the draconian gun control bill that was rushed through the process late Monday evening.
“Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature orchestrated a secretive end-run around the legislative and democratic process and passed sweeping anti-gun measures with no committee hearings and no public input.
“Hammered out in a backroom in Albany, S. 2230 was quickly drafted and released 20 minutes prior to the Senate vote. It passed as the clock ticked toward midnight.
“This legislation lowers New York’s arbitrary magazine capacity limit from ten rounds to seven. It also greatly expands the state’s existing ban on commonly owned semi-automatic firearms, and will require New York gun owners to undergo background checks on ammunition purchases.
“These gun control schemes have failed in the past and will have no impact on public safety and crime. Sadly, the New York Legislature gave no consideration to that reality. While lawmakers could have taken a step toward strengthening mental health reporting and focusing on criminals, they opted for trampling the rights of law-abiding gun owners in New York, and they did it under a veil of secrecy in the dark of night.
“The legislature caved to the political demands of a Governor and helped fuel his personal political aspirations. New York lawmakers have ignored and excluded gun owners throughout this legislative process, but the NRA and our New York members remain committed to having a meaningful conversation about protecting our children and will speak frankly about the lawmakers who have failed to do so.”
Ruger Distributes ‘Protect Your Rights’ Alert and Link
Ruger urges gun owners to “Contact Your Legislators Now!” by clicking on a link that leads to a company-prepared Take Action Now! page, which allows gun owners to send a prepared email letter to lawmakers quickly and easily.
The Ruger alert says:
At Ruger, our motto is “Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens.” It is not just a slogan; it is genuine recognition that millions of law-abiding citizens use our firearms safely and responsibly every day. We are mechanics, doctors, teachers, police officers, firemen, nurses, factory workers, and every other occupation you can name. We are a vast and too-often silent majority … and our rights are under attack.
Make Your Voice Heard Too!
Given the forces assembling against us, merely relying upon lobbying efforts is insufficient. Law-abiding firearms owners must stand up and be heard. This affects all of us, so we cannot stand idly by and rely upon others to fight on our behalf. Too much is at stake. Visit our Protect Your Rights web page to learn more about how you can take action and be heard today!
Step one: On that linked page above, you can tell your legislators you care about gun rights, either with the Take Action Now! link, which allows you to send a prepared email letter quickly and easily. Or the Find Your Representatives link, which has detailed contact information for each of your legislators so, if you prefer, you can call them or write them a more personal letter.
Step two: Get all your friends to help support our rights; ask them to click on the link and send letters too. Forward this email to your friends and encourage them to take action too.
More: Many elected officials have been looking for an opportunity to curtail our gun rights and think they can win now if they move quickly while emotions are high. In Washington D.C. and in state legislatures across the country, anti-gun forces are gathering and conspiring in an effort to pass bad legislation that goes beyond anything we have ever seen. At least one legislature is discussing making public the identity of all pistol permit holders, treatment typically reserved for convicted sex offenders.
Reality seems to be lost on these folks. Cities like Washington D.C. and Chicago, with some of the strictest gun laws on the books, are hotbeds of violent crime. Nationally, violent crime involving firearms has declined since the expiration of the Federal “assault weapons ban,” while lawful ownership of firearms has increased. More lawful gun ownership, less crime.
To help your voice be heard, use this special service on our website now.
The mission of Cheaper Than Dirt!’s blog, “The Shooter’s Log,” is to provide information—not opinions—to our customers and the shooting community. We want you, our readers, to be able to make informed decisions. The information provided here does not represent the views of Cheaper Than Dirt!