Certain natural disasters can undermine even the best prepper’s planning. The tornadoes that devastated the citizens of Oklahoma provided a one-two punch that was too much for most to resist. Our hearts and prayers are with the victims affected by this disaster. At times words and even prayers are not enough.
The victims have a variety of immediate needs, but few ways of receiving these critical supplies. With every tragedy, there are a few frauds, but also several reputable assistance programs to channel the necessary food and emergency supplies.
If you would like to lend some aid to the victims, please consider donating to one or more of the following:
- Salvation Army—Accepting cash donations only. Hard goods are not needed; just cash to help with emergency housing, etc.
- Donations of $10—Text your financial contributions to assist those affected by the tornado:
- Text STORM to 80888 for the Salvation Army
- Text REDCROSS to 90999 for Red Cross (text contributions to the Red Cross go toward a national disaster recovery fund.)
- Text TWISTER to 20222 for Save The Children
- Text GIRLS to 20222 for Girl Scouts Western Oklahoma Tornado Relief Fund
- Text FOOD to 32333 for the Oklahoma Regional Food Bank
- United Way of Central Oklahoma’s Disaster Relief Fund—Make online donations at www.unitedwayokc.org or by mail to United Way of Central Oklahoma, P.O. Box 837, Oklahoma City, OK 73101 with notation for May Tornado Relief.
- United Way of Norman—Make online donations at unitedwaynorman.org. If you prefer to write a check, send it to United Way of Norman, 2424 Springer Drive, Suite 304, Norman, OK 73069. Make sure to write “Oklahoma Tornado” in the memo line of your check.
- Moore & Shawnee Tornado Relief Fund—Make secure online contributions at www.TulsaCF.org. Donations can also be mailed to TCF offices at 7030 S. Yale, Suite 600, Tulsa, OK, 74136.
- Journey Church in Norman—Make online donations directly through journeychurch.tv/may-20-relief—giving page, please mark 5/20 Relief, or visit the Norman Campus at I-35 and Tecumseh Rd, Norman, OK to donate.
- Crossings Community Church—Make donations online at crossingsokc.org/giving. Sign-in or create an account; select “Missions”; and then select “Disaster Relief Fund.” Monies will go directly to tornado relief.
- Girl Scouts Western Oklahoma—Make Tornado Relief Fund donations at www.gswestok.org. Monetary donations can also be made at any council office.
- Catholic Charities OKC—All donations made to this fund will support recovery for victims, such as temporary housing, food, medical bills and more. To donate, visit www.catholiccharitiesok.org.
If you have a few extras items in the man cave or spare prepping supplies, you can also donate items directly to:
- All three Edmond high schools:
- Edmond Memorial: Clothing
- Edmond North: Bottled Water
- Edmond Santa Fe: Canned Food
- JUICEBLENDZ Café-Edmond, 1200 W. Covell Road (near Uptown Grocery), Edmond, OK. Accepting donations for the next week of bottled water, canned food, and clothing. Purchases may be made next door at Uptown Grocery. 405-285-0133. On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/juiceblendzok
- St. James Anglican Church, 204 SW 104th St., OKC, OK. Seeking donations of food blankets pillows, diapers, and other necessities. 405-626-5708.
- Journey Church in Norman, I-35 and Tecumseh Rd, Norman, OK. Visit journeychurch.tv/may-20-relief for updates of what to donate. 405-217-8700 or email@example.com
- The Wonderfully Made Foundation/Homeless Home will be assembling care bags filled with toiletries and other articles for families affected and displaced by the tornado, also needs volunteers to help assemble the bags. On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheWonderfullyMadeFoundation?fref=ts
- Primrose Schools of SW OKC, 1520 SW 119th St., OKC, OK. Taking gift cards for parents and donations for the families in the school that were affected by the tornadoes. 405-793-6000.
- St. Mary’s Episcopal School, 505 E Covell Rd, Edmond, OK. Accepting donations of children’s books, stuffed animals, and any other comfort items for the surviving children and families. 405-341-9541
- Gold Plated will pick up canned food/pantry items. Residents in OKC & Edmond can place items on porch in bags/boxes and e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gold-Plated
- Crawford Family Funeral Service, 610 NW 178th Street, Edmond, OK. Accepting donations. 405-340-2333.
- OU Equipment, 180 West Brooks, Norman, OK. Accepting supplies.
- Memorial Road Church of Christ, 2221 East Memorial Road, Edmond, OK. Accepting donations. 405-478-0166.
- LOCAL, 2262 W Main, Norman, OK. Taking food to volunteers and victims for the next few days. If you would like to bring donations, they’ll get them delivered for you. Open at 11am. On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eatatlocal
- First Baptist Church Moore, 301 NE 27th St, Moore, OK. Accepting donations of food, toiletries, baby items but not clothing. 405-793-2600. http://fbcmoore.org/
- Calvary Temple Church, 1801 S. Kelly, Edmond, OK. 10:00am-4:00pm accepting donations.
- The University of Oklahoma, NEL building Room 112, 905 Asp Ave., Norman, OK. Collecting diapers, formula, adult and children’s clothing, shoes, new underwear (in package)-sizes kids through adults, flip-flops, soap, shampoo, toothpaste and toothbrushes, games, toys and stuffed animals for children. 405-325-2511.
- Skate Galaxy OKC, 5800 NW 36th St., OKC, OK. Accepting donations of clothing and other goods. Skate Friday, May 24th 4-7pm and 100% proceeds go to the cause. 405-605-2758. On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Skate-Galaxy-OKC/144457005643820
Pets and Livestock
Pets are as important as family members to many. Here is a list of dedicated donation links locations for furry friends as well.
- Benchmark Animal Hospital, 1701 W 116th St, Perkins, OK. Assistance for animals affected by the tornado and need shelter or medical attention. 405-547-8381.
- The Animal Resource Center, 7949 S. I-35 Service Road, OKC, OK. Taking in pets misplaced by the tornado. If you find a dog bring it and if the animal needs veterinary care, volunteers are standing by to transport. They are located just North of Moore at I-240/I-35 intersection. 405-604-2892.
- Ann’s Country Club for Pets, 4200 E. Britton Rd., OKC, OK. Providing care for displaced animals. 405-478-2303 or 405-615-9609.
- Veterinary Triage Center has MOVED to the Cleveland County Fairgrounds, 615 E. Robinson, Norman, OK. Take animals found in the affected areas to the Fairgrounds for processing and further medical care.
- Pet Lost & Found okclostpets.com or moore.recovers.org/news
- Annie’s Ruff House, 1034 N. University Blvd, Norman, OK. Sheltering dogs displaced by the weather. 405-613-7083. http://www.anniesruffhouse.com/
- The Pet Food Pantry of OKC is offering dog food, cat food, leashes, collars, food bowls, etc. 405-664-2858. http://www.petfoodpantryokc.org
- OSU Center for Veterinary Health Sciences. Offering care for storm injured animals. Owner and referring veterinarians call 405-744-7000 to make care arrangements. Contributions to help defray costs are being accepted online at www.cvhs.okstate.edu/oarf or call 405-385-5607.
- Red Earth Feed and Tack, Oklahoma City, OK. Accepting halters, lead ropes and other livestock equipment, as well as feed and cash donations to compensate veterinarians providing storm-related animal care. 405-478-3424.
- The Women’s Horse Industry Network. Accepting donations for storm-impacted horse owners. 615-730-7833. www.womenshorseindustry.com
- The American Quart Horse Association (AQHA). Accepting non-perishable food items, toiletries, gloves, buckets and shovels at AQHA headquarters in Amarillo, TX. 806-376-4811.